Hi,

I turned on file backups using "set backup" in my .vimrc. However, I want to
have emacs-style file backup behavior:

"Emacs makes a backup for a file only the first time the file is saved from
a buffer. No matter how many times you subsequently save the file, its
backup remains unchanged. However, if you kill the buffer and then visit the
file again, a new backup file will be made."

Is there anyway for vim to do this? Or has anyone written any scripts to do
this?

(Vim's backups just write an additional "filename~" every time you save the
file, regardless if it was the first save.)

Thanks for your help,
Alan