On Aug 07, 2011 at 02:15 AM -0400, Alan wrote:
I want a new backup file only when I first open up a file in a buffer and
save it the first time. But after I close the buffer and reopen it again
later, I want it to write another backup.

I wrote a crummy vim script that makes a back up copy of a file, with the date and time in the name every time you save, but only if there have been changes to the file. So I'm sure what you ask could easily be done. Just set a flag when you open a file, and when you save it, check for the flag. If the flag is set, make your backup and unset it.