On 02/11/11 05:21, Jose Caballero wrote:
Hi,

this happened to me today. I had a line like this one
===================
and I wanted to replace all characters by '-', so I could have something
like
--------------------

I thought I could do it by combining 'g' and 'r' as I understood 'g' is
good to repeat the same command over all chars in a line (like guu or gUU).
However, I was not able to make it work.
I ended up doing something like  :.s/=/-/g

Is not really possible to replace all chars in the current line with a
combination of 'g' and 'r' commands?

Cheers,
Jose

In Normal mode, IIUC g is not a complete command, but the first character of quite a number of multikey commands, see :help g

To replace all characters in a line, I would use the :s[ubstitute] command, as you ended up doing, or one of its variants:

To underline a (left-justified) heading:

yyp

then

:s/./-/g

The . range is optional, since the default for the :s command is the current line. However the above method wouldn't work if there are hard tabs in the line.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Celestial navigation is based on the premise that the Earth is the
center of the universe.  The premise is wrong, but the navigation