Ben,
I followed your suggestions (not sure if I understand it all).  But I
still get the “E490: No fold found” message.  Here is what I did:
Moved the markdown.vim file from ftplugin folder to the indent folder.
Added these lines to top of markdown.vim file:
        setlocal foldmethod=expr
        setlocal foldexpr=Foldexpr_markdown(v:lnum)
I saved the files and then reopened test_fold.txt file, but got “E490:
No fold found” message when zc from lines starting with “#”:
        ## test level 2
Thank you for your help.
wolfv