On 01/01/12 19:09, Graham Lawrence wrote:
I have an external hard drive that is in ntfs file format.  Vim will
neither create a file, nor write to existing files, on this file
system.  It returns E212, saying I do not have permission.

The drive mounts automatically from my fstab entry when I start the system

     /dev/sdb1        /media/500gb     ntfs-3g     rw,user,auto     0   0

and mount shows it as

     /dev/sdb1 on /media/500gb type fuseblk
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)

so its permissions and ownerships are universally, e.g.

     /media/500gb/Films/Mouchette (1967) (French with English Subtitles) $ls -l
     total 4
     drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4096 Jan  1 08:50 VIDEO_TS/
     -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root    0 Jan  1 10:40 mplog*

Not all Linux kernels support overwriting NTFS files, and even fewer support file creation. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Linux for details.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
"This is a job for BOB VIOLENCE and SCUM, the INCREDIBLY STUPID MUTANT
DOG."