2012/1/2 Graham Lawrence <gl00...@gmail.com>:
> Sorry, should have been more emphatic, I have the ntfs-3g driver.  Vim
> is the *only* app that has a problem writing to this device, all
> others do so freely.  I have to keep windows to run my printer and tv,
> but virtually all the files on this ntfs drive are created in linux.
>
> So the problem is specific to vim.

This cannot be vim-ntfs issue because vim hasn't access to ntfs (or
any other) filesystem except than VFS (Virtual FileSystem)
abstraction.

The only things that changes are the filesystem cababilities and how
VFS handles the missing ones.

For example, NTFS hasn't support for file's user / group ownership.

As you said, you have read and write pemissions for these files but,
if you see at your own report, you can discover that YOU ARE NOT the
owner of those files because ntfs doesn't support such thing and the
user who mounted the filesystem was root.

Then, you have read and write permissions, but you cannot change this
permissions or ownership. Which is probably what vim is trying to do.

Why vim is trying to that is a vim issue (also maybe related with your
.vimrc and/or the plugins yo are using). If you discover that,
probably you can change this behaviour (sure loosing some --maybe
unwanted-- feature).

Why you aren't the owner IS operating system and fstab setup issue.

It could be interesting to know what and why is trying to do vim that
only the file owner can do. But I thing is more interesting to become
the file owner to be able to do that. Regardless if wi finally decide
that we want or not.

> The help has no reference for ntfs
> or fat32, but as vim can be used on windows it must be able to write
> to these file systems.  Or is that a feature only available with the
> windows version?

No. Vim has no access to phisical filesystems in linux. And in windows
maybe, but it is definitively a bad idea to do that in any way.

PD: Is not a solution, but while you are searching for that, you can
overwrite the file with:

:w ! cat > %
(notice the space between 'w' and '!')

Regards.