On Jan 27, 2:25 am, howardb21 <howard...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 26, 3:39 pm, Steve Hall <digit...@dancingpaper.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 11:31 AM, howard Schwartz <howard...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > Redhat's ``enhanced'' version is not - It adds one or two trivial
> > > features.
>
> > Better check your :version, vim-enhanced is compiled by redhat with
> > the "huge" +feature-list. Only the "-" items below are missing from mine:
>
> Looks like you have the gui version (for X windows?). That is where
> one gets the `huge' features. But my friend needs vim, not gvim (see
> other posts). I would have thought the gui version would include vim,
> as it does for ms windows. But it does not.
> You must be in a graphical environment to get the huge features. As
> far as I can tell the standard versions are: minimal, enhanced, and gui

I believe that the gui version of Vim runs fine in the console for
Unix-like systems. There's even a command to launch the GUI from a Vim
running in the console, :gui.

I thought there was a command-line argument to gvim which would cause
it to run in the terminal, but I can't find it, the closest I could
come was -v, "Start Ex in Vi mode. Only makes a difference when the
executable is called 'ex' or 'gvim'. For gvim the GUI is not started
if possible."

But, simply renaming the executable to vim, or creating a link to gvim
named vim, should work. I couldn't find it explicitly stated in the
help that an executable called "vim" would not start the GUI, but it
is implied at least by the list at the end of :he vim-arguments, which
goes over the default arguments based on executable name.