On 01/31/12 16:27, Marco wrote:
On 2012-01-31 Tim Chase<v...@tim.thechases.com>  wrote:
I can't tell  you why, but I have the  strong feeling that
it's not a hardware issue.

With the behavior changing based on $TERM, the possibility of a hardware issue no longer ranks high on my list of possible issues.

does using  either ":redraw" or ":redraw!"  also refresh
dthe isplay correctly?

No, neither of the commands does.

Which backs the idea that something is wrong with the termcap, that even as it redraws, it's using the improper escape settings.

So  when you  mentioned changing  the font  manifest the
behavior, that was your  terminal font, not 'guifont' in
gvim, right?

Yes, I'm talking  about the terminal font. As  I said gvim
is not affected.

I just wanted to make sure--the resizing-fixes aspect hinted that it might be (though not absolutely) gvim related. Terminals can send a WINCH signal which tells the application the window size changed, so the path Vim takes when processing this signal could also be at issue.

Hmm… good question. My .Xresources file says:

Rxvt.font: xft:Mono:pixelsize=13

Was that for the good font or the bad font? And is it only dependent on the font-name, or does it behave if you just change the font size?

Also, what is $TERM set to...both within Vim and outside
Vim?  Does the  problem persist  if you  start vim  with
something like

outside vim: TERM=rxvt-unicode
inside  vim: TERM=xterm-256color

I also changed TERM to xterm-256color, without success.

    bash$ TERM=dummy vim file.txt

to force a bogus termcap entry?

Yes, this helps. I did a few tests and it works fine.

I  thank  you a  lot  for  your  creative thoughts.  As  I
mentioned, setting the  TERM to “dummy” helps.  But I have
no idea  why. Is  this the solution  of just  a workaround
that doesn't trigger the weird behaviour?

Just to add to the pool of data, what does the output of :version have to say about "builtin_terms", "terminfo" and "termresponse" (and note there's a difference between "+" and "++" for some of those settings). It might also helpful to know the settings for various term-related settings:

  :set ttybuiltin? term? tenc?

-tim