On Monday, May 14, 2012 2:39:54 PM UTC-5, Gary Johnson wrote:

> As I understand the problem, they also had to have 'nobackup' and
> 'nowritebackup' set, the latter which is not the default.  So the
> user threw away the safety net, disregarded the warning sign, and
> because of this I have to wait longer each time I write a file?
>
> Of course, if the slowdown is negligible, then there's probably no
> reason not to go with Christian's change.

Since the error only occurs if 'backup' and 'writebackup' are both off, maybe
we could only do the "dry run" conversion in this situation? I.e., if either
'backup' or 'writebackup' are set, do what Vim has always done; but if neither
are set, do the extra check first. We could even put a nice notice in :help
'writebackup' saying "if this option is off, writing the file will take longer
due to extra safety checks" to discourage turning it off in the first place.