On 2012-11-05, analogsix wrote:
> have a systemverilog.vim file that I source from my .vimrc through the
> following command:
>
> syntax on
> au BufEnter *.sv, *.svh source ~/.vim/syntax/systemverilog.vim
>
> When opening mulitple .sv files through the command-line for editing, VIM
> does not syntax highlight the files.
>
> Only opening individual files works.
>
> What could be wrong?

A couple of things.

First off, if you're going to use syntax highlighting, you should
really do it the way it's designed to work and not go off and do it
somehow differently.  Rather than put an autocommand in your
~/.vimrc, just use

    filetype on

and if you discover that Vim does not detect the systemverilog
filetype, then create a file named ~/.vim/ftdetect/systemverilog.vim
and put this in it:

    au BufRead,BufNewFile *.sv,*.svh set filetype=systemverilog

Secondly, a BufEnter autocommand is triggered only when you enter a
buffer, not when you just display it.  For example, execute this
command,

    vim -Nu NONE --cmd 'au BufEnter * echomsg "hello" expand("%")' -O file1
file2 file3

then execute

    :messages

You will see this:

    "file1" 0L, 0C
    hello file1
    "file2" 0L, 0C
    "file3" 0L, 0C
    hello file1

If you then type Ctrl-W Ctrl-W twice and execute ":messages" again
you will see this:

    "file1" 0L, 0C
    hello file1
    "file2" 0L, 0C