On 12/21/2012 11:31 PM, ping wrote:
> I've been doing it manually for long time and feel it not scalable...
> external tools are one option, any good choice in vim?

For nearly a year now I have been using Vimwiki with some custom
additions [1] to extend the vimwiki task syntax with a due date. In my
vimwiki a task looks like this:
  * [ ] do the laundry (2012-12-22 13:00)
  * [ ] ironing (2012-12-23)

The date (with optional time) between parentheses is the due date. I
keep my entire vimwiki in a git repository. On my server I have two
cronjobs running:
  * one runs every 15 minutes, pulls from the repository to get all the
updates, and then runs a ruby script which basically greps the
repository for tasks which are due in the next 15 minutes (depending on
the date + time). For each task a mail is sent + a jabber message to my
google talk.
  * one runs every morning and greps for all the tasks which are due in
the next 7 days (depending on the date only). It then makes a simple
report of all the tasks which are overdue, due for today, due for
tomorrow and due for the rest of the week and sends that in one mail.

I'm aware that this is a rather simple method of doing taskmanagement
and certainly won't work for everybody, but after years of trying
different tools, I have finally settled on this method and after nearly
a year I'm still using, so it works for me :)

I can share the Ruby script, should you be interested.

[1] https://github.com/teranex/dotvim/blob/master/after/syntax/vimwiki.vim

Jeroen

--
website: http://budts.be/ - twitter: @teranex