On 05/13/2013 04:05 AM, Asis Hallab wrote:
Dear Vimers,

2013/5/13 DwigtArmyOfChampions <dwightarmyofchampi...@hotmail.com>:
If you're not going to search, then are you pretty much always supposed to use
Ctrl-u and Ctrl-d to navigate through your code, and then when you spot a line
that needs changed, type :(line number)?

I have been facing the very same problem. For me Vim is about doing
the job of text editing efficiently. So getting to the place you want
to edit should be fast and easy. In spite of all the different
available movement commands I frequently find myself thinking, that in
a particular situation I might had gotten to the place I want to edit
faster using the mouse. After all searching or jumping to a a line
number easily require four to five key strokes.

Because that's pretty much the only way I've been able to move around. What if
you're in visual mode and you therefore can't use the : to run a command to get
to the line number you want the visual block to end on?

You can use G<line_number> to get to the line you spotted. This works
in visual mode, too.
:h G

I would very much like to read about expert Vim users most used
movement commands and get more efficient in getting to the point I
want to edit.

Cheers!

I made a small modification to Vim source that shows line number from
top of screen instead of from top of file and I've set up two shortucts
for navigation:

<N>space - goes to Nth line from top of screen
space - toggles between 3 positions on current line: 25%, 50% and 75%

The last shortcut uses a small function I wrote.

These two commands that use the same key work much better (for me) than
anything Vim has available built-in.

I thought relative-number mode would be great but in practice it doesn't
seem to work that well. First of all, I don't always remember if I'm
above the line I need to go to or below. This is annoying, because the
action of 'go to this line' is so common it really NEEDS to be a
single-action process, i.e. look up the line, use a single command to go
there.

With relative-number, first you need to make sure if you're above or
below and then use j or k. And it's easy to make a mistake. This is
simply too much overhead for such a simple action.

In addition, a common case is that you might want to go back and forth
between a couple of places in current screen, then it's very helpful if
you just need to remember 2 absolute line locations, e.g. 5 and 25 and
go there directly without having to look them up, irrespective of
current line location.

 -ak