On Oct 15, 2013 8:41 PM, "BPJ" <b...@melroch.se> wrote:

> 2013-10-15 16:12, BPJ skrev:

>>> macros like FEM don't work.

>>> nonEnglish languages?

>>> You mean, those that are created using IMAP function? AFAIK
>>> they work like this: map the last character (M in your case)
>>> and when it is typed check whether the preceding characters
>>> are present just before the cursor. If they are, IMAP deletes
>>> them and does what it was requested, otherwise it returns the
>>> last character which will then be inserted. I do not know how
>>> mappings interact with &keymap, but as with &keymap preceding
>>> characters (FE in your case) are replaced with Russian ones
>>> IMAP will not work. I do not know any way around this without
>>> modifying IMAP to be &keymap-aware.
>>>
>>> I personally just disabled all these macros for them being too
>>> intrusive (do not remember which of them exactly though).
>>

>> The best advice I have is to imap some function key or the like
>> to 'toggle' iminsert and use it before and after other imaps.
>>
>> /bpj
>>

> I sent too soon. I meant
>
>     :inoremap <F12><F12> <C-O>:let &iminsert = &iminsert ? 0 : 2<CR>
>
> if you use an ΙΜ (Input Method) in your system and not a Vim
> keymap. CTRL-^ won't help you in that case.
>
> I can't imagine what it would be otherwise. If I imap a letter
> sequence like FEM it works even when I have my BetaCode keymap on
> and typing FEM would normally give me φεμ, OTOH there is no way I
> can type FEM/φεμ in insert mode anymore!

Please read my message. IMAP does *not* map FEM. It maps M and checks
whether there are FE letters present just before the cursor when you
trigger the M map. It is a poor men infinite timeout for insert mode. AFAIR
one of the reasons I disabled all of the mappings is that I could not type
some sequences anymore. I remember something starting/ending with backticks.

Second was that no trick like Space CTRL-H Key works: unlike my translit3
which uses similar approach IMAP does not bother mapping F and E and hence
does not bother remembering where I started typing. (If translit3 detects
that I started typing the sequence in one place, but am now typing in the
other, even with same characters before the cursor, it no longer considers
new key a continuation of the old sequence. Same if you typed some
character that translit3 mapped, but that is not the part of current
sequence: no CTRL-H/BS will allow old sequence to continue.)

email to vim_use+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.