2014-02-07 09:51, Andrew Stewart skrev:
Regarding the various mailing list threads about text objects: I think the
existence of multiple plugins offering new text objects is evidence of demand
for Vim to beef up its text objects.  They are one of the most useful parts of
Vim and enhancing this area would, I think, increase Vim's utility.  I know
adding features complicates everything but because text objects are so
important I feel the benefits outweigh the costs.

FWIW I would like to be able to define text objects in terms of
'syntax objects' (yes I just made that term up, I mean primarily
the piece of text seleced by a :syn match or :syn region as
identified by the syntax group it is connected with). To my mind
they are related because a 'syntax object' can be thought of as a
'thing' in the text which you might want to do stuff to. At least
I would like to be able to define objects using a
command/function syntax similar to :syn region.

I hope this idea isn't totally naive. I'm just a user having done
some limited forays into scripting Vim, lacking deeper
knowledge/understanding.

/bpj