Ken Takata wrote:
Hi,

2014/4/17 Thu 0:58:01 UTC+9 Adrian wrote:
'm helping another user open a large, 3Gb, file.  The standard windows
editors balk, so I recommended VIM.  Unfortunately, even vim crashes
after scrolling some amount.  For instance, he can't go straight to
the end of file.

The work station is Windows 7, 64 bit, with 32Gb of RAM.  Are there
any settings to modify to make vim more stable with large files, or is
there some Windows performance limitation and just out of luck?
There is a related item in the todo.txt:

| Win64: Seek error in swap file for a very big file (3 Gbyte).  Check storing
| pointer in long and seek offset in 64 bit var.

I wrote some patches to fix this, but they seem to be still unstable.

https://bitbucket.org/k_takata/vim-ktakata-mq/src/192069dac4356c186b89e0451a254599713d2309/support-largefiles-on-windows.patch?at=default
https://bitbucket.org/k_takata/vim-ktakata-mq/src/192069dac4356c186b89e0451a254599713d2309/use-stat_T.patch?at=default

The LargeFile plugin turns the swapfile option for large files, so it would help avoid this problem; TIm has already provided a link to it, so I won't repeat that here.

Is your "another user" using a FAT32 partition? That filesystem is limited to 4G files, and so possibly the swapfile is exceeding that limit.

Regards,
Chip Campbell