Ken Takata wrote:

> 2014/4/29 Tue 22:04:23 UTC+9 Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> > Ken Takata wrote:

> > > There is a related item in the todo.txt:

> > > storing
> > >
> > > I wrote some patches to fix this, but they seem to be still unstable.
> > >
> > > https://bitbucket.org/k_takata/vim-ktakata-mq/src/192069dac4356c186b89e0451a254599713d2309/support-largefiles-on-windows.patch?at=default
> > > https://bitbucket.org/k_takata/vim-ktakata-mq/src/192069dac4356c186b89e0451a254599713d2309/use-stat_T.patch?at=default
> >
> > Did you make progress on this?
>
> I wrote "still unstable", but it seems that it was my mistake.
> Now I think that the patches are OK.
>
> Sometimes Vim (without the patches) freezes when I open a very big file
> (about 2 GB) and scroll up and down using scroll bar. After applying the
> patches, Vim sometimes takes very long time for scrolling up and down, but
> it wasn't a freeze. (I misunderstood that.)
>
> BTW, I found that 32-bit Vim couldn't handle a very big file properly when
> ":set noswapfile". In my understanding, this is an expected(?) behavior
> because Vim tries to load the whole file into the memory when 'swapfile' is
> off, and a 32-bit program can't allocate larger than 2-GiB memory.
> (Actually, a 32-bit program can get 3-GiB user space if /LARGEADDRESSAWARE
> option is specified for 'link'.)
>

> > Can we also add some tests to verify the fix?
>
> I'm thinking what is the best way to test this.
> Something like this?
>
> " Make sure that a line break is 1 byte.
> :set ff=unix
> :set undolevels=-1
> " Input 99 'A's. The line becomes 100 bytes including a line break.
> 99iA<Esc>
> yy
> " Put 19,999,999 times. The file becomes 2,000,000,000 bytes.
> 19999999p
> " Moving around in the file randomly.
> 10%
> 90%
> 50%
> gg
> " Edit some lines.
> " Extract some lines and write them to test.out.

Although it would be good to test this way, I think it should not be
part of "make test", since it will probably fail on smaller systems.
Perhaps we should make a "make bigtest" target, for more testing.

Generally, I think we need to test that the patch doesn't break anything
for normal editing.  But perhaps the tests we already have are
sufficient for that.  If you look at your patch, are there any commands
that would not be used by the existing tests?

--
"The sun oozed over the horizon, shoved aside darkness, crept along the
greensward, and, with sickly fingers, pushed through the castle window,