Ben,

Try to write these french words in a file with a latin1 fileencoding:
 bœuf, cœur, manœuvre, œil
(beef, heart, manoeuvre, eye)

Close this file.
Set encoding to utf-8 in your vimrc.
Open the file.

Encoding is utf-8
Fileencoding is latin1 (:set fileencoding?), converted is written after the
file name.
But all words have squares.
(The same file is visualized well in notepad+++, recognized as latin1)

Btw you asked me how I check encoding and fileencoding of a file?
I have this in my statusline:
set statusline+=%2*\ E:%{&fileencoding?&fileencoding:&encoding}
set statusline+=%2*\ F:%{&fileencoding?&fileencoding:&fileencoding}

Years ago I had also problems with utf-8 and switched back to latin1 encoding.
These days I switched again to utf-8 and after a while it messed up again my
files (p.e. my vimrc file).

A question:
Why should there be an encoding and fileencoding? Why not put them together?
If a file is a latin1 file: encoding and fileencoding has to be in latin1.
If a file is an utf-8 file: encoding and fileencoding has to be in utf-8.
Without "Conversion" written after a file name.
And in the Config file a user can then indicate whether a new file should be in
utf-8 or any other encoding, something like this:
let NewFileEncoding = "utf-8"