Thank you very much Ben for your great explication.
Not easy to understand.

I still don't understand why my vimrc and menu.vim, containing both french
characters as "œu", could be read in latin1 in the past, without any problem or
error.
(The only encoding line I had in my vimrc file at that moment was "set
encoding="latin1")

What I also don't understand is that with above setting, files in latin1 where
encoded in latin1 but the fileencoding in my statusline was empty (no
fileencoding was indicated by vim)
If I changed the above setting to "set encoding=utf8", encoding and
fileencoding both indicated utf-8. Does vim take as default encoding the
default windows encoding?

Every now and then I write something in Russian that is why it might be better
to change the default encoding to utf8, isn't it? I had also troubles to use a
plugin using latin1 as the default encoding.
If I set my default encoding to utf-8, what would be the "filencodings"?
Set fileencodings=ucs-bom,utf8,cp1252,latin1?
utf8 at the end or after ucs-bom?
Btw I'm on a windows OS, 8bit-cp1252 has to be cp1252, isn't it?

If my default encoding will be utf-8, it is better to convert vimrc and
menu.vim to utf8 as well to avoid that I see every time "Converted" after the
filename, isn't it?
Do you know a good software to convert cp1252 files to utf-8? (I used iconv in
the past)

Btw Ben, you noted in your reply "setglobal fileencoding=utf-8"
What difference is there between "set fileencoding=utf-8"  and "setglobal
fileencoding=utf-8". I thought there was no local buffer encoding setting?