> Paul <Paul.Domaskis <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> I'm finding that cygwin's gvim no longer seems to use the same cryptic
>> font names as xfontsel.  They are much simpler names.  So it seems
>> that gvim doesn't use the X-window fonts. I'm at a loss for how to
>> select cygwin packages that will expand my font options in gvim.  Can
>> anyone please explain?

What happens if you run ":set gfn=*" ? Can you select fonts; what fonts
appear; and what does the value of the gfn option look like afterwards?
You say they are much simpler, but don't explain exactly what they look
like.

Does the cygwin gvim use gtk 2? What is has("gui_gtk2") and does the
font name look like the one in the example in :h setting-guifont ?

if has("gui_running")
    if has("gui_gtk2")
        :set guifont=Luxi\ Mono\ 12
    elseif has("x11")
        " Also for GTK 1
        :set guifont=*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-*-*-180-*-*-m-*-*
    elseif has("gui_win32")
        :set guifont=Luxi_Mono:h12:cANSI
    elseif has("gui_macvim")
        :set guifont=DejaVu\ Sans\ Mono:h13