Elmar Hinz <t3el...@googlemail.com> writes:
> Summarising this, you think vim is behaving differently than most
> other vi derivates?
>
> Why is the comment quoted by Christian Brabandt telling, vim tries to
> behave like vi?

"vi derivates" is a bit misleading term. All of the programs I
discussed, except heirloom vi, are actually vi *clones*. Looking at the
original vi itself (heirloom is a version for modern systems) on a
4.3BSD virtual machine I had set up, it does show the same behavior as
vim and heirloom vi here.

I assume the same behavior is also present on other (mainly commercial)
unix systems that have their own implementation of vi derived from 4BSD
vi. Does anyone happen to have e.g. an OpenSolaris machine to test on?