On Mi, 01 Apr 2020, Daniel Gray wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently working on a theme called Selenized
> https://github.com/jan-warchol/selenized/
>
> We're using https://github.com/lifepillar/vim-colortemplate to template
> our theme.
>
> The issue I'm having is
> https://github.com/jan-warchol/selenized/pull/71#pullrequestreview-375757756
>
> We cannot seem to get SpellRare to work in Vim, yet it works in NeoVim.
>
> The Vim config is extremely simple:
>
> set t_Co=16
> set termguicolors
> colorscheme selenized
> set spelllang=en_au
> setlocal spell spelllang=en_au
> set spell
> set nu
> syntax on
>
> My NeoVim config is the same except that it doesn't have set t_Co=16
> because that's not supported.
>
> We want the theme when running in Vim to look the same as it does in
> NeoVim.
>
> I included a screenshot:
>
> https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/48640805/76826205-c3640200-6813-11ea-859f-e6c9a3c6e0c4.png
>
> as well as the generated theme:
>
> https://github.com/jan-warchol/selenized/pull/71#discussion_r401316369
>
> I'm hoping someone can give us a hand as we really want to support Vim
> too, not just NeoVim.

First of all, I am not really sure what the problem is. I saw a long
discussion, but did not find a clear problem description :/

So what exactly is not working with SpellRare? Can you please provide a
reproducible example with just the required highlighting commands?

Also `:set t_Co=16` and `:set termguicolors` does not make any sense.
Either your terminal does support only 16 colors (in which case it won't
support rgb colors, or it supports rgb colors, so the `:set t_Co=16`
should not be set.

Them you shouldn't have to `:set t_Co=16` and rather rely on Vim for
determining the capabilities of the terminal rather than overriding it.
This means, you have to configure your terminal correctly (e.g. if you
export TERM=xterm, then Vim will think your terminal is only capable of
using 16 colors).

And finally, I haven't actually seen any modern terminal, that does not
support at least 256 colors. So you might want to decide not to support
16 color terminals only.

Best,
Christian