On Di, 14 Apr 2020, Tavis Ormandy wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 14, 2020 at 9:40:00 AM UTC-7, Christian Brabandt wrote:
>

>     Sounds like you have started vim in compatible mode. :set nocp should
>     fix it, but that enables a bunch of other options as well, so more
>     specifically, use :set bs=2
>

> Thanks, but I'm not in compatible mode. In compatible mode, AFAICT, CTRL-W
> does not remove at all and just moves the cursor position.

I believe, CTRL-W has always deleted (only until the position where you
entered insert mode) as far as I remember. The behaviour you describe I
only know from compatible mode.

> I already use bs=2, but I tried 0 and 1 as well, and it doesn't change it :-(

Are you sure? I cannot reproduce this. What does `:verbose :set bs? cp?` say?
What Vim version? Can you reproduce starting from vim --clean?

Best,
Christian
--
Achtet nicht die Achtenswerten, und es wird nicht Streit sein im
Volk.