On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 06:56:32PM +0200, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> > Thanks, but I'm not in compatible mode. In compatible mode, AFAICT, CTRL-W
> > does not remove at all and just moves the cursor position.
>
> I believe, CTRL-W has always deleted (only until the position where you
> entered insert mode) as far as I remember. The behaviour you describe I
> only know from compatible mode.
>
> > I already use bs=2, but I tried 0 and 1 as well, and it doesn't change it
> > :-(
>
> Are you sure? I cannot reproduce this. What does `:verbose :set bs? cp?` say?
> What Vim version? Can you reproduce starting from vim --clean?

Yes, I'm sure - but you must have a setting that does what I want!

This is with 8.0.1453, but it's worked like this by default for a long
time, I've just decided I'd try to fix this long-time annoyance today.

To be clear, very detailed reproduction steps:

1. In a new file, write this:

one two three

2. Enter normal mode, position the cursor after "two" and enter insert
   mode, then type "four". It should look like this:

one twofour three

3. *before* leaving insert mode, hit CTRL-W. I think it will now look
    like this:

one two three

    But I want this:

one three