Hi all,

I tried a few things:

(1) gvim -f ++enc=utf8 -
result: "E492: Not an editor command: +enc=utf8
(2) gvim -f +enc=utf8 -
result: see (1)
(3) gvim -f +"set fenc=utf8" -
result: no error message; sets fenc to "utf-8", but file is loaded as
if with latin1.
(4) gvim -f -c "set fenc=utf8" -
result: see (3)
(5) gvim -f --cmd "set fenc=utf8" -
no error message; fenc remains is "latin1"

A different approach:
(6) (man llseek ; echo 'vim:fenc=utf8:') | gvim -f -
result: no error message; fenc gets set to "utf-8"; file is loaded as
if with latin1

See also below:

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 at 01:45, Tony Mechelynck
<antoine.mechely...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you find out after loading the stdin that it was opened in the
> wrong encoding, then it's too late; but if you know the file's
> encoding in advance, the should be a way, especially if your
> 'encoding' (the charset used internally by Vim) is UTF-8 and if your
> Vim is compiled with +iconv.

Both conditions hold true.

> To be able to detect Latin1 and UTF-8 (and UTF-16 with BOM) automagically, add
>         set fileencodings=ucs-bom,utf-8,latin1

I tried that months ago.  The result was that new files were assumed
to have fenc=utf-8, for reasons you mention below.  This is not
acceptable, so I use "fileencodings=ucs-bom,latin1,cp437" (yes, I know
the trailing ",cp437" is pointless).

> somewhere in your vimrc (the s at the end of fileencodings is
> important); but this isn't enough for files in cp437, especially if
> Vim gets them on stdin. For those, load them with (untested)
>   someprogram | view ++enc=cp437 -

I tested it; see top of message.

> The above will detect files in 7-bit us-ascii encoding as utf-8 rather
> than Latin1. This is not a bug, because the 128 characters which are
> valid in us-ascii are represented identically in all three in
> us-ascii, Latin1 and UTF-8.

Right!

Cheers,
Albert.