Christian,

Thanks for the reply!  Unfortunately I don't have gvim installed (I could
never get the hang of using it).  I tried in iTerm, which had a similar
issue as Alacritty (lines slightly shorter, but still lots of visual space
between the lines of the E325 ATTENTION message).  But Terminal.app didn't
have the same problem.  So I thought,"Aha! It's different termcaps causing
the issue!"  In Terminal.app TERM is defaulting to xterm-256color, whereas
in iTerm it was set to screen-256color, and in Alacritty I use tmux heavily
so it was set to tmux-256color.

Unless you can think of a better way to solve this, I can just set up an
alias for vim='TERM=xterm-256color vim' and that will be a sufficient
workaround for my purposes.  When I executed `TERM=xterm-256color vim`
manually it fixed the problem.