I got a nearly new mouse when I bought an Apple IIe off ebay.
It appears almost the same as the Mac Plus mouse, and even says the
same Model M0100 on the bottom.
But it doesn't move the mouse cursor side to side on the Mac Plus
(haven't tried it on the apple IIe yet).

I'm guessing it's either broken or there is really a difference
between it and the regular Mac Plus mouse...