Hello,

--- On Fri, 10/16/09, Don Wakefield <dtp...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My question is: what would be a realistic price? Has this
> unit fallen completely off the "value" table or conversely, has it
> slipped into the "rare and collector" world?

I think it's slipped into the "boat anchor" world.

It's too bad you don't have an original LaserWriter, as I can understand
someone wanting to acquire one of those, hook it up, and relive the Good Old
Days when 8 ppm was considered an insanely fast print speed. :)  Not to mention
that the print quality would still pass muster today (for text, anyway).

But someone wanting to acquire an ImageWriter?  I think that's likely to be a
much tougher sell.  I'm not convinced all that many people are going to get
nostalgic about a printer that prints one page per minute, is noisy, and whose
print quality was barely acceptable, even back then.  But that's just me.
[shrugs]  For all I know, someone may be dying to get one as a museum piece.

Assuming you're willing to take the time and trouble to pack and ship the
behemoth, there's nothing to stop you from offering it up on LEM Swap for $100
"or best offer," then going from there.  Just be prepared for a metric
diaperload of emails telling you how outrageously overpriced it is. :)

Seriously, it's hard to put a price tag on quarter-century old printers.  It's
all a matter of who is in the market for one, and what they will pay.  My own
guess is "not much," which is why I suggest offering it at a fairly (some might
say outrageously) high price and accepting best offers so that people have a
chance to make an offer for what they think it's worth.

Best,

James Fraser