I'm not sure I follow exactly. However, the Mac TV did not use the
same TV or Video card as the Performas. It was a proprietary
combination card with an NTSC composite video and RF input.

The Performas and other Macs which would support it (see
http://support.apple.com/kb/TA34375?viewlocale=en_US ), used a 2 part
system for AV. It consisted of a TV (or TV/FM) tuner card with RF
input, specific to the region sold, i.e. NTSC, SECAM, or PAL (with or
without the companion FM tuner). The second part was a video input
card with composite and S-Video connections, which universally accepts
all three types of signals since the decoding is handled by the
software in the computer.

Apple's documentation is very clear, In order to receive television
signals, the appropriate tuner card must be installed, i.e. NTSC,
SECAM or PAL.

You seem to indicate that the TV Tuner card included in your Performas
were "universal" and could correctly tune any NTSC, SECAM, or PAL
signal received. If that is the case, it would have been a more
expensive version of the single format card which Apple documents in
its English documents, sold exclusively in certain territories which
might require such abilities. Based on this chart:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0d/PAL-NTSC-SECAM.svg

Brazil might be a prime candidate for such a card assuming there is a
wide overlap of NTSC and PAL signals along the borders broadcasting in
the same language. Certainly this is not the case in Europe, or
Africa. Nevertheless, Apple does not document such a card, but they
don't discount one either.