On Feb 5, 5:40 pm, Mac128 <mac128mail-h...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In that they are both GCR, yes that is correct. Thanks for the
> clarification. I think the confusion is the inclusion of "DOS" in the
> Apple description, DOS & ProDOS being the System software for the
> Apple II.

Okay, thanks. I'll ask about this.

> The Macintosh 400K disk has 80 tracks (0-79) and divided into 5 groups
> of 16 tracks each, with each group having a different rotational speed
> from the other groups, with data being written in 512-byte multiples.
> Don't know as much about the Apple II, but I do know it handled
> sectors differently and had a different interleave. Don't know if that
> matters, and since you have successfully read an 800K disk, I presume
> not.

Well, KryoFlux is a bit clever when it comes to the number of sectors
and various other parameters. Some things do need to be specified,
like sector size. Other things, like the number of sectors can be
determined from the disk being read. This in particular allows us to
lump what are often described as 100's of separate formats into just
one (MFM).

> I am curious though ... how do you know it read it correctly? If this
> only makes archive backups and doesn't write back to disks, how do you
> know it read the "flux" data correctly?

We recommend when imaging a disk that you specify the a format