[I managed to typo badly and send my previous post early. Here is the
rest...]

On Feb 5, 5:40 pm, Mac128 <mac128mail-h...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am curious though ... how do you know it read it correctly? If this
> only makes archive backups and doesn't write back to disks, how do you
> know it read the "flux" data correctly?

When imaging a disk, even when producing a "flux transition" image, we
recommend specifying a format to check against. We can then use the
encoding rules, track geometry and CRC's that are defined by that disk
format to verify and ensure the data is correct. This is not always
possible for disks with custom track formats or copy protection, and
in those cases they would need further analysis. They would obviously
not be possible to hold in a simple sector-level image either, so it
would need to be held in the flux-transition format.

It's always nice to test images in an emulator too if possible. That
isn't such a great test, but it certainly helps when reverse
engineering the more custom stuff. A final check if you like.