Sounds like cap rot. The SMT electrolytic capacitors used in just
about anything electronic from the late 80s-mid 90s are at the end of
their lifespan. They will leak, causing the machine to malfunction at
best and corrode the motherboard at worst. Sometimes you can see or
smell the leaky residue (it smells sort of like dead fish), and
sometimes you can't. But they WILL fail, causing a variety of
completely erratic and unexplainable behavior, from loss of audio to
constant crashing.

Lots of old computers and game consoles have this problem. All Macs
from the same time period (SE/30, iisi, Luggable and so on) are
affected, as well as the AGA Amigas, the Turbo Duo, and the X68000
Compact/X68030/X68030 Compact, just to name a few.

You will need to replace every surface-mount electrolytic capacitor on
the motherboard and all add-in cards (preferably with tantalum
capacitors so you will never have to do this again). It's not the
hardest soldering job in the world, but it does take some practice, as
well as some electronics knowledge.