At 14:15 -0400 6/26/11, Wesley Furr wrote:
>How do you manage to replace those puny little surface-mount jobbies though?
>Through-the-board electrolytics aren't a problem, I've done a number of them
>over the years...

Think about replacing the beasts with tantalum equivalents.

Essentially all of the aluminum jobs are nothing but bypass capacitors on the
+5 or +12 volt power lines. The capacitance is never critical and can surely be
replaced with a tantalum job rated higher C. Somewhat smaller is also probably
OK because of the superior AC resistance specification for the Ta parts.

The voltage rating is important. At least 50% over the DC voltage is nice. But
watch out for Apple. On the SE/30 they use 16 volt caps for everything even
though they could have used 6 volt caps on the 5 volt rail.

I have some aluminum electrolytics here that work fine after storage since the
1960s. It's those smaller and smaller "modern" devices that have the problems.
--

--> A fair tax is one that you pay but I don't <--