If memory serves, RAID-0 offers improved performance only on a PPC, not a
68K...  I believe it deals with the CPU performance hit associated with
splitting / merging the data.  The 68K machines are really limited in their
ability to move data.  The more CPU power, the faster you can move the data.
The 8100 internal SCSI is a 10 Mb/s bus (or at least the controller is).  My
9600 has a 4 drive (10K RPM) SoftRAID RAID-0 array running on a PCI UW card
which achieves around 30 MB/sec (again if memory serves, it has been some time
since I benchmarked it).

As an example of using a single really fast drive internally :

Q-950, System 7.5.5, Quantum Rushmore 128MB SSD (converted to 8 bit) running on
the internal SCSI bus
Sustained Read 5099 KB/Sec (5081 Low / 5107 Peak)
Sustained Write 4789 KB/Sec (4769 Low / 4797 Peak)
Average Access Time 1 ms
Average Seek Time 0.0 ms
Read Transaction/Sec 1515
Write Transaction/Sec 1333

Tested with HDT BenchTest - I cannot attach the graph showing the transfer test
size to the transfer rate, but the next bit will give you an idea.

In MacBench 2.0 The same configuration resulted in
Disk Mix:       17.41   score
Seq Read 1K:    857.73  kilobytes/sec
Seq Read 8K:    2143.74 kilobytes/sec
Seq Read 16K:   2391.92 kilobytes/sec
Seq Read 32K:   4285.51 kilobytes/sec
Seq Read 128K:  4710.82 kilobytes/sec
Random Read 1K: 504.16  kilobytes/sec
Random Read 8K: 1789.29 kilobytes/sec
Random Read 16K:        2178.32 kilobytes/sec
Random Read 32K:        4079.57 kilobytes/sec
Random Read 128K:       4794.25 kilobytes/sec
Seq Write 1K:   1612.99 kilobytes/sec
Seq Write 8K:   2028.97 kilobytes/sec
Seq Write 16K:  2081.44 kilobytes/sec
Seq Write 32K:  3835.38 kilobytes/sec
Seq Write 128K: 4373.52 kilobytes/sec
Random Write 1K:        677.21  kilobytes/sec
Random Write 8K:        1633.49 kilobytes/sec
Random Write 16K:       1859.42 kilobytes/sec
Random Write 32K:       3679.36 kilobytes/sec
Random Write 128K:      4446.01 kilobytes/sec

I should test one of these out in my 9600...  See how fast it can go!

For some reason, I just cannot get one of these working in my IIci on the
internal bus (works fine with a NuBus card).  So far, it works fine in the
IIfx, but now I am trying to deal with the video card issue...  Sometimes these
old machines are such a pain!

Derek