On Jul 9, 2012, at 5:10 AM, Barry Cross wrote:

> I have an Apple Mac Quadra 700 that I picked up second hand, its problem is
> that it will not boot up simply displaying the flashing floppy disc icon with
> central question mark.
>
> The Quadra’s internal hard drive is an IBM model whose SCSCI ID is set to 6
> and not the default Apple setting of 0. The problem occurred because I
> inadvertently connected an external ZIP drive whose ID turned out to be stuck
> at 6. This resulted in an ID conflict and thus the failure to boot.
>
> I’ve got essential files on the hard drive so I’d rather be able to use it
> rather than discard it or the Quadra.
> I’m open to answers including acquiring an external hard drive setting it to
> an ID of 0 and using it as the Quadra’s boot disc, that’s if I can locate one
> any ideas?

You may give a try booting with the "DOCS" method  hold down these four keys
while power up-  Delete, Option, Command, and Shift, You have to get all down
just when the chime sounds, a split second early or late and you have to do it
again. If you have an optical drive then a copy of Norton may do it.

John Carmonne
Yorba Linda CA
92886 USA
MacPro 2.66 Quad Nehalem