While more modern computers will likely never be worth anything near
something rare, like an Apple I, they do seem to increase with time.
Thinking of the computers I worked with when I was in school...the IIe,
IIgs, and Mac LC...at the time they were put out to pasture from schools and
such, they were old technology, not worth anything, and I'm sure many ended
up in the landfill.  I picked up a few LCII's and a few IIe cards back in
the early 2000's when no one seemed interested in them, and they were cheap.
Today, they seem to demand a little more, as I'm sure fewer exist and there
is more interest in them now that they are older.  The IIgs is a better
example...found one when they were cheap, around the same time frame, and
now they are definitely bringing higher prices.  I guess what I'm saying is,
there is a time when demand does drop off precipitously as you note...but
given time, that will often turn around and the price goes back up.  I guess
only time will tell what the value truly ends up being...

Wesley