I'm agreeing with Dylan on this, Michael.

I have an SE/30 that was working and then stopped. I have taken the bold step
of recapping everything and it still refuses to start up.

Admittedly, I have not been able to devote as much time as I would have liked
due to other pressing family matters.

You say the case is off so you can access the internal wiring. Grab a
flashlight and tip your SE/30 on its face on a nice towel or dishcloth.

Remove the RF shield (the silvery cardboard type thing). Play the beam around
the inside of the case on the opposite side to the vertical circuit board -
right under where the hard drive and floppy sit. Near the front of the case
right under the floppy drive, there should be a small black plastic bracket
with a battery in it - about half the length of an AA battery. Play the beam
around on the circuit board where this battery case meets it. If you see a
blistering lump and/or corrosion, your battery has leaked.

If this is the case, expect the worst news. You may be lucky and the damage is
minimal, someone can clean up that board for you and your SE/30 has dodged a
bullet. On the other hand, the corrosive discharge has likely eaten away some
tracks and it's beyond repair.

If you would like to try repairing it yourself, try and get hold of Larry
Pina's books, "The Dead Mac Scrolls" (DMS), "Macintosh: Repair and Upgrade
Secrets"(MRUS) or "Mac Classic and SE: Repair and Upgrade Secrets"(MCSERUS).
The power supply for the SE/30 was used in the SE model. Bizarrely, in DMS, the
repair suggestion is the switch on the Sony PSU.

Just take all the usual precautions when working with the Analog (vertical)
board as you will have to detach it from the CRT and although the SE and SE/30
came with the bleed through transformers that are supposed to discharge the HT
on the CRT, it doesn't hurt to use a discharge tool to be certain.

The Analog board is held in place with four Philips sheet metal screws. The PSU
is held to the Analog board with four machined screws. Don't get them mixed up.

Opening the Sony PSU is straightforward - you should search for an online video
or fan webpage to describe this. Once inside the PSU, you can check the fuse
and replace it if necessary.

If this doesn't help, come back to us and tell us if anything has changed.
Bizarre sounds and odd smells are not good. Kill the power and remember what
they sounded/smelled like.

Cheers for now,

Keith