The 450 (an LC III) has the standard two-row 15pin port.  I'm assuming the
Sony 15" has the standard 3-row VGA 15-pin port.  Assuming the Performa and
the Monitor are working, it comes down to your cable.  Please describe the
cable you have.  Does it have an adapter that goes from 3-row to 2-row
15pins?  Does that adapter have dip switches or a rotary dial?

You see, it's not just about the pins matching.  The cables themselves tell
the mac what kind of monitor is attached.  If you have an adapter or
straight cable that doesn't have any settings then it is set to a single
mode.  My guess would be that it is set to 1024x768.  The Performa supports
512x384 (12" monitor), 640x480 (13" monitor) and 832x624 (15" monitor)
modes.  It came with 512k of VRAM which gives you 16 colors except for the
832x768 mode; take the gram up to 768k and it would support 16 colors in
all modes.

Regardless, the Performa doesn't support 1024x768 so your cable needs to
geared to tell the LC  that it's either a 13" or 15" monitor.  The follow
eBay auction has one of the adapters with DIPs that allows you to
select/configure the cable settings.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4840.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xmac+monitor+cable.TRS0&_nkw=mac+monitor+cable&_sacat=0

CR

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 7:56:08 AM UTC-5, Scott Brant wrote:

> I've got a Performa 450 I just bought off eBay.  It had a functioning
> photo with a 13" vintage Mac monitor
> I've bought the appropriate cables to physically plug it into my 15-20
> year old Sony 15" monitor.  I can't get it to work.
>
> Any ideas?

---
"Vintage Macs" group.
to vintage-macs+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.