I recently acquired a Mac Plus from an old friend...it was her parent's and
I gather was used for many years. Unfortunately, looks like it got stored in
the basement or something and has acquired a bit of mildew...but just
sitting around problem is half of its problems...where shall I begin...

The external Lacie hard drive (with a Quantum Prodrive ELS) is dead. I
whacked on it (and may have killed it) trying to get it going...ultimately
pulled the cover and tried the head move trick...it will seek back and forth
a few times, then spin down anyway. I've written that part off...

I used an LCII to create a System 6.0.8 boot disk and it booted up just
fine. Once. Now it spins, heads seek, then it stops spinning. Pauses, spins,
seeks, then stops again...disk icon on the screen goes to an X when it
stops, then normal looking as it tries again, wash, rinse, repeat. Could
this be as simple as needing a head cleaning? The disk still works fine in
the LCII. I also plugged in an external Apple 3.5 disk drive and it boots
fine on that as well. Any other maintenance that might need to be done on
the drive? I don't yet have the special screwdriver to get the case open
either... I'm guessing the heads are clean since it did boot once ok...?

Anyone ever heard of a Phaser 800 floppy drive, made by Warp Nine
Technology? Gotta love the name regardless.
<http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif> It
came with the Mac...seek sounds very noisy and it won't boot from that drive
either. Struggling to figure out how to get the thing to come apart...I
think I may have slide it forward, pull the drive bezel off, then slide it
out the back....?

And lastly...I can't get it to recognize an external hard drive...one that
works fine on the LCII. First tried an ADTX drive, which uses an IDE to SCSI
adapter with a 2.5" IDE drive...system 7.5, nothing. Tried a generic Seagate
Cheetah (I think - maybe Barracuda) in an external case with 7.5...nothing.
I have a SCSI to IDE adapter which then goes to Compactflash, again,
nothing...all of these boot fine on the LCII. Finally put in a fresh 256mb
CF card and loaded 6.0.8 onto it via the LCII, no dice. Booted the Plus and
tried to get it to see the drive with a patched HD SC Setup and it does not
see the drive. Do I just need a really old SCSI drive to work with this
thing or something? Any other ideas or common problems I should be looking
out for?

Thanks,

Wesley

---