Hi Stephen,

Not having hands-on, there are a number of possibilities and solutions.

Can you boot from a floppy drive? Have any floppy tools? If you can put your hands on an old FWB tools floppy set or some other floppy diagnostic set, that would be a big help.

After completing this email, I realized there are several possibilities but the first thing you might look at is whether or not you formatted the drive or in some way disturbed the boot sector. Second, it is possible you are seeing a gradual failure of the power supply due to old capacitors.

******

Do what we call re-seating the connections. It's possible that the connectors have acquired some corrosion. This goes for any cards or sub-assemblies commonly found in older computers. Unplugging and re-plugging each (all) connector (one at a time to avoid confusion) will sometimes fix a connection problem. Sometimes - but not always - seemingly innocuous acts will make a problem disappear.

More subtle problems can occur if there is any visible corrosion on the circuit boards. Also, vibrations during shipping can cause weak (aka "cold") solder joints to have invisible open circuits (i.e. broken connections). Re-soldering a bad joint will fix the bad connection but the trick is to spot the bad joint - a loupe or being severely near-sighted will help, but having experience with cold solder joints is better.

Let's hope it's not a bad circuit board or part. Some early computers had poor quality capacitors in them.

Finally, it could be that you failed to secure the hard drive connectors properly and one of the connectors is loose.

Hope that helps.