This is one of the advantages of Netscape on the classic Mac OS. Any
application creates it's own memory partition and only the most remarkably
buggy apps will overwrite another app's partition (maybe something not "32-bit
clean"?). Netscape and some others go one step further. Once it has a
partition, it never releases it back to the system*. If you quit NS and
restart it, it will use exactly the same space it previously occupied. I
suspect that one reason NS will freeze the system if you restart it after it
crashes is that it tries to reclaim that space, but the system sees as a "new"
app trying to overwrite another's partition and it traps the protection
violation. I don't necessarily reboot immediately after all apps abend, but I
would never try to run some, like NS, without rebooting.

*So, if you've allocated 24 MB of your 128 MB to Netscape and then close it,
you will not get that memory back for other applications without rebooting.

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ / No HTML/RTF in email