--- James S Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is one of the advantages of Netscape on the
> classic Mac OS. Any
> application creates it's own memory partition and
> only the most remarkably
> buggy apps will overwrite another app's partition
> (maybe something not "32-bit
> clean"?). Netscape and some others go one step
> further. Once it has a
> partition, it never releases it back to the system*.
> If you quit NS and
> restart it, it will use exactly the same space it
> previously occupied. I
> suspect that one reason NS will freeze the system if
> you restart it after it
> crashes is that it tries to reclaim that space, but
> the system sees as a "new"
> app trying to overwrite another's partition and it
> traps the protection
> violation. I don't necessarily reboot immediately
> after all apps abend, but I
> would never try to run some, like NS, without
> rebooting.
>
> *So, if you've allocated 24 MB of your 128 MB to
> Netscape and then close it,
> you will not get that memory back for other
> applications without rebooting.

No wonder Jump Development said you shouldn't even
think about thinking about using RAM Charger on
Netscape. :P (Another nasty bit with Netscape is
it's not fully "Smart Scroll Aware", the "thumbs"
are fixed at the default size.) "At Netscape,
we read the programming manuals for the OS, then
do what they say NOT to do!"

=====
"The earth swarms with inhabitants. Why then should nature,
which is fruitful to an excess here, be so very barren in
the rest of the planets?" Bernard de Fontenelle, 1686
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
My ICQ# 16024947