Very off topic, please excuse me. Maybe this tread will help some body.
I hope. Not my words but those that may come

David Robinson wrote:

> The problem with that is that my crashes usually occur only when working. For
> example, I may be using Pagemaker 6.5, and/or Photoshop 5.5, with Netscape at
> the same time and she'll crash. Not all the time, just some times.

FWIW we have found netscape doesn't play well with other apps. Would like
to recommend IE5 but that will crash itself on a bad day, good browser thou.
Appleworks runs hot and cold but the new update goes along way to
fix that finally. I'd be interested to know how often Pagemaker or PS5.5 crashes
by
themselves. We have trouble browsing with these open sometimes.
Quark4+ and appleshareIP (6.+) dont get along at all. The new quark might fix
that?
MYOB doesn't like netscape much.

The firewire 450 imac insists on trying to connect a invisible server every now
and then,
locking up up the startup until the servers folder is removed from the system
folder. 9.0.4 bug
fixed in 9.1 I think, like the one that records all your cd burning history and
memory leaks.

Our 7300/g3/400 has some trouble finding DHCP on a cold boot and will, at times,
pause for 30 seconds (seconds in the bar clock stop, mouse free) about every 5
minutes
for that reason I think, sometimes this 2 or 3 hours into work.

> Most recently, (on at least three occasions) the computer wouldn't start all
> the way up. Just to the desktop and it locks up. Then of course, you have to
> do a forced restart.
>
> Then, sometimes, it crashes with just one application running. It's really
> screwy.

We found 8.6 very stable with 128 ram, not good with 64 thou, go back to 8.1
I'm looking for another 128 before trying OS9.1 on the 7300. every bit helps. :)
especially with a "older mac".

A zip drive formatted on 9.0.4 and the drive itself plug into the 7300 running
8.1
will work fine but the data transferred from the 8.1 onto the disk comes up
invalid when read under 9.0.4. Would this be a HFS, HFS extended problem?

There is a great depth of knowledge of all sorts on this list.
I humbly thank all new and old members for the topics shared.