At 20:29 -0400 on 25/07/01, Steve Moody wrote:

>At 12:20 PM -0700 7/25/2001, Kyle Hansen wrote:
>>  > I'm still trying to find out what a -671 error is.
>>
>>-671 is a "connection proccesses" error usually associated with an Open
>>Transport crash.
>
>   1) Where can I find a list of error codes and what they mean?

Try a Google search for "Apple Error Codes."

The TIL has a good bit of information too.

>   2) One thing I'll never understand is why the Macintosh, with it's
>ease of use, has always had error codes that are so user unfriendly.
>Even DOS has no error message as unfriendly and Macintosh Error

It wasn't always that way.  Mac error codes usually are lower-level things
than those problems that would generate an error in DOS/Windoze.

For example, try removing a floppy on a DOS machine and then try writing to
the A: drive.  "Error reading drive A.  Abort/Retry/Fail?"  On a Mac, you
would simply get the "Please insert the disk" message, which makes a
helluva lot more sense.

Example again: the "general protection fault" in Windoze, which is just a
blanket error that usually doesn't specify anything.  At least with an
error number you know what you might want to look for.

It's been too long since I tried to write to a locked floppy in DOS or
Windoze, so I don't remember exactly what happens, but I seem to recall
that it's not nearly as friendly as "This floppy is locked."

Most Mac error codes that actually get codes instead of explanations are
very obscure things that don't happen much.  In 13 years of using Macs,
I've never seen a -671 error.  Close to (maybe more than) 90% of what I've
seen has been Type 1, 2, 3, 10, and 119, the last of which (#119) were all
due to Stuffit Expander being poorly written and doing stupid things with
the FCB allocation table in Mac OS 8.5 and up.

I could probably come up with a lot more examples.  DOS and Windoze are
*not* user-friendly with their errors.