I've been unlucky enough to see the work of lazy
Windows programmers with messages like
"An error has occured: Error. [OK]"
Can't remember what program that was.

I think Mac error numbers are spit out by the System
or maybe the ROM. On Windows the error messages with
the Details option that gives you more info you can't
understand are generated by the OS. The stupid
ones that just say Error or pop an "Error" box to
tell you the thing worked perfectly are the work of
programmers. At least the Windows generated error
messages usually tell you what crashed and what the
name of the file is that has a problem. Unfortunately
too often its says <Unknown> which is just as
nasty as a Mac program suddenly quitting because
of an unknown error. Couldn't Apple have made it
so that if a program pukes it would say "Program
exited unexpectedly because of" followed by the
name of the Extention or Control Panel that made it
crash?

--- Steve Moody <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 9:25 PM -0400 7/25/2001, the pickle wrote:
> >  >   2) One thing I'll never understand is why the
> Macintosh, with it's
> >>ease of use, has always had error codes that are
> so user unfriendly.
> >  >Even DOS has no error message as unfriendly and
> Macintosh Error
> >

> >I could probably come up with a lot more examples.
> DOS and Windoze are
> >*not* user-friendly with their errors.
>
>    I was talking about error CODES, not error
> MESSAGES.  Mac error
> messages are much more user friendly than DOS error
> messages.  Error
> codes are a different matter.  I don't remember
> anything in DOS that
> is equivalent to error codes.

=====
"The earth swarms with inhabitants. Why then should nature,
which is fruitful to an excess here, be so very barren in
the rest of the planets?" Bernard de Fontenelle, 1686
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
My ICQ# 16024947