--- Alex Allee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> on 8/7/01 1:42 AM, Adam at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:

> > rotary
> > phone (Geez, I'm 18 and I remember these)
>
> Don't worry about it, I'm 19 and *use* a rotary
> phone.

Heh, I'm 30 and remember when there was ONE style
of phone available, supplied by "Ma Bell". They
had about 3 colors to choose from. They were rented,
not sold. Eventually, if you wanted, you could
buy your own phones, but they still had the same old
Ma Bell supplied innards. Finally the companies
that wanted to make their own complete phones got
the government to make the telcos allow equipment
not supplied by them to be connected to the phone
system. Of course that all happened in the 1970's
before you were born. ;) When that change happened,
magazines like Popular Science ran articles on all
the neat custom phones you could now buy.

=====
"The earth swarms with inhabitants. Why then should nature,
which is fruitful to an excess here, be so very barren in
the rest of the planets?" Bernard de Fontenelle, 1686
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
My ICQ# 16024947