--- Rick King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Now I feel terribly old.  At 38, I think back on 18.
>  I just can't conceive of being 18 anymore.  I have
> socks that are that old....hehehehe.... I remember
> having that wonderful old Western Electric rotary
> dial phone when I was growing up.  I also remember
> having a black and white tv.  Kids today have it so
> easy.....color tv, computers, satellite.....when I
> was a kid we didn't even have calculators....  and
> we walked 5 miles to school every day....uphill both
> ways.....

I had a 10" black and white TV for years. My family
had two calculators, one with a green vacuum
fluorescent display that used two AA bateries and
one with a red LED display that used 4 AA batteries.
They cost almost $100 each in the late 70's.
The neat bit is they're real easy to use in the dark.
(Yes, they're small enough to hold in one hand.)
Matter of fact my folks still have them and they
still work perfectly! Let's see how many of today's
calculators are still going in 25 years. ;)

I rode the bus to school, and it was uphill both
ways. Of course my house was at the top of
one hill and the school was at the top of another
about 2.5 miles away. ;)

=====
"The earth swarms with inhabitants. Why then should nature,
which is fruitful to an excess here, be so very barren in
the rest of the planets?" Bernard de Fontenelle, 1686
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
My ICQ# 16024947