At 17:34 -0600 on 22/08/01, Steve Conrad wrote:

>Does Apple just want the older Macs, Apples and varied clones to just die
>off so we will all be forced to buy brand spanking new G4's?

Yes.  Well, no and yes.  They want us to buy new G4s, but I don't suppose
they care much about older machines, beyond the possible (very cynical)
view that their existence might hurt new Mac sales.

>They seem to stomp on anyone who runs a site supporting older machines
>these days.
>My proof? Fire up Anarchie and see how many of those sites are Empty or

That's not proof.  I hate to sound argumentative, but Anarchie was last
distributed in the late 1990s, and IIRC, the version you have is from about
'97 or so.  I challenge you to find more than about six-of-25 of ANY kind
of Mac-oriented server that have been around since then and were big enough
then to get noticed.

Info-Mac has moved since then.  A lot of the Info-Mac mirrors have
disappeared.  Pacific Hi-Tech no longer distributes the CD collections of
the Info-Mac archive that they used to.  MacUser is defunct in the US.
MacWeek is dead.

Broadband 'net access has killed a lot of that sort of thing and moved a
lot more of it to less-obvious places, like Hotline (which was essentially
nothing in 1997) and its variants and Gnutella (which didn't even exist
until last year).

Somehow I don't think Apple has much (if anything) to do with that
disappearance, except for the obvious cases like with the Mac 512 User
Group being prohibited from distributing older OSes any more.