No, you don't have to take out the system file, just, really, one or the
other - the point is that for every time you install a system, for there
to not be a blessed system folder on the drive (otherwise the installer
will usually attempt to update that system folder).

Renaming each system folder for what version of the system it contains
is also a good idea (i.e. "System Folder 6.0.8").

Marcus Sanford