At 16:13 -0600 on 04/09/01, William Hatchell wrote:

>My Quadra 640AV recently expired and I'd like to move as many of the working
>components from it to my LC475 as possible.  I began by maximizing RAM using
>modules from the Quadra.  Next, I'd like to know how to replace the LC040
>processor of the 475 with the faster 040 processor from the Quadra and just
>how to deal with the tall heat sink which I'm told may not allow for the LC
>case to close.  Any other components transferable like VRAM?  Thanks very

All should be transferable, though the 475 only has one RAM slot and
requires VRAM to be installed in matched pairs.

Just carefully pry up the old LC040 with a screwdriver - work around the
edges evenly so you don't bend the pins - and drop the 040 from the Quad in
place, making sure to match the white dot on the CPU with the dog-eared
corner on the socket.  You'll see what I mean when you get in there.

You shouldn't have any problem with the heatsink.  You may need to apply
heatsink grease or a clip; I don't know how the heatsink is set up in the
Quad 63x/640 because I've never seen a full Quad version.