--- William Hatchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> My Quadra 640AV recently expired and I'd like to
> move as many of the working
> components from it to my LC475 as possible.  I began
> by maximizing RAM using
> modules from the Quadra.  Next, I'd like to know how
> to replace the LC040
> processor of the 475 with the faster 040 processor
> from the Quadra and just
> how to deal with the tall heat sink which I'm told
> may not allow for the LC
> case to close.  Any other components transferable
> like VRAM?  Thanks very much!

You just carefully pry the CPU out of its socket
using a small (1/8" wide) flatblade screwdriver.
Stick it between the chip and socket on one side
then twist a little. Work all four sides a little
more each time until it pops loose. Even better
is if you can get one of those "rakes" that came
with most 486 PC upgrades. They work fine on the
040 and fit between the pins along the whole
side of the chip. Same slow and gentle working on
all sides applies.

I don't know if the 040 is keyed with a missing
pin or extra pin so it can only fit one way.
Pin 1 is marked at one corner and the socket will
have an angled corner or small dimple or the
board will have a white outline around the socket
with a triangle at Pin 1.

As for a heatsink, try a short 486 one with a
fan that has an inline hard drive power plug.
You can "stick" it to the chip with a thin coat
of white heatsink paste. It will stay put if you
don't stand the Mac on it's side. :) Eventually
the stuff can dry enough to where it will stay
put but I wouldn't trust it 100%. It's too bad
the 040 isn't exactly the same size as a 486
since there are tons of 486 heatsinks and fans
that simply clip the the sides of the chip.
Apple never used a ZIF socket or provided heatsink
clips on any 040 Mac.

=====
"The earth swarms with inhabitants. Why then should nature,
which is fruitful to an excess here, be so very barren in
the rest of the planets?" Bernard de Fontenelle, 1686
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
My ICQ# 16024947